Thursday 19 March 2015

I crave that mineral: who are these goats?

I know this meme may be a little old now, it reached the internet in December 2014 and lasted about a week.


The origin:
I Crave That Mineral (Original Post)

A picture of multiple mountain goats climbing an almost 90 degree angle was posted on Tumblr with the caption:

"Alpine Ibexes climb nearly 90 degree angles to lick salt deposits of of mountainsides. They crave that mineral."

After this post gained popularity, people began making spin-off Tumblr posts; some good examples are:


The goat: you must be wondering "WHO IS THIS GOAT?" Don't fret, I shall tell you.

The Alpine ibex, is a type of goat that lives in the European Alps. After extensive research, I have concluded that the mountain goats in the original picture are on a dam in the Italian Alps.

Although the photo was taken in 2010 and has been featured on multiple social networking sites, the picture finally went viral 4 months ago when it was posted on Tumblr. I believe that it was the caption "They crave that mineral" that made the post so popular.

Here is a google chart for the popularity of the phrase "I crave that mineral":

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US#tz&q=I+crave+that+mineral&cmpt=q

Do you crave this mineral?

No comments:

Post a Comment